Obama's big thing right now is Health Care Reform. He ran and was elected on a platform of national health care reform - Obama-style: which means according to Obama's campaign promise giving health insurance to all who want it, and those who are happy with their health care plans get to keep it.
General Comments about Health Care Insurance:
First off, let's talk about what is wrong with USA's health care system currently:
1. It is expensive, and looks as if costs will increase due to aging and more unhealthy population - Americans are an obese lot - which means Americans eat more, and exercise less.
2. Because of rising cost of health care, more and more employers are offering medium to high deductible plans, which shifts the burden of health care from the employer and insurance companies to individuals and families.
3. More and more Americans cannot afford health insurance. Depending on who is talking I've heard numbers quoted frm 40 to 50 million americans are not insured. Reasons for non insurance range from unemployment, employers who don't offer medical insurance, inability to afford health insurance, to people simply choosing not to be insured.
4. Health insurance coverage issues - many or most health insurance plans exclude pre existing conditions.
5. Medical Malpractice tort reform:- again depends on who you talk to - some people say that the rising health insurance costs are driven by an industry that spends too much on unnecessary procedures simply because they are afraid they will be sued.
Ok, now let's talk about what is right with our health care: